Safari versions 3, 4 and 5 amalgamates Cookie data into one large file Cookies.plist stored at the path ~/Library/Cookies. This plist is an XML plist. The Encase Internet History search will parse these files and when set to Comprehensive search will find fragments of them in unallocated. However perhaps due to its lack of granularity this search takes forever to run across a Mac and in my experience often fails to complete
As is becoming a recurring theme with my Safari examinations I have turned to Blade to carve out Safari Cookie data from unallocated. The Cookie.plist consists of an array of dictionary objects.
Using Apple's Property List Editor it can be seen that this Cookie.plist has an array of 7074 Dictionary objects. Each Dictionary object is a Cookie in its own right.
Looking at the underlying XML you can see how each dictionary object is structured.
In creating a recovery profile I considered whether I wanted to carve out deleted cookie plists in their entirety or whether I should carve each dictionary object separately. These dictionary objects are fragments of the cookie.plist - hence the crumb reference in the title -after all fragments of cookies are clearly crumbs. I decided that it would be a more thorough search if I carved for the dictionary objects themselves and the following Blade data recovery profile did the business (this data is extracted from Blade's audit log -another neat feature).
Profile Description: Safari Cookie records
ModifiedDate: 2010-06-17 06:33:30
Author: Richard Drinkwater
Category: Safari artefacts
Processing the Carved Files
If your case is anything like mine you will carve out thousands and thousands of individual cookies (or at least the cookie data represented in XML). There are a number of options to process this data further.
Drag output into Encase as single files. Run Encase Comprehensive Internet History search.View results on records tab.
There are two issues with this method. Firstly Encase does not parse the Cookie created date which is stored as an CFAbsolute timestamp. Secondly there is the issue of duplicates. You will have thousands and thousands of duplicates. These can be managed by hashing the carved files. I would also recommend running the data recovery profile over any live cookie.plists, loading the output into Encase as single files, hashing the output and then creating a hash set. This hash set will allow you to spot additional cookies over and above those in the live cookie plists in any cookies carved from unallocated.
Concatenate the contents of each output folder by navigating to the folder at the command prompt and executing the command copy *.plist combined.plist.With a text editor add the plist header and array tag at the beginning of combined.plist and the closing plist and array tags at the end.Make sure the formatting of combined.plist looks OK with a text editor.Process combined.plist with Jake Cunningham's safari cookie plist parser.
The utility is run from the command prompt using a command in the form
>[path to Safari_cookies.exe] [path to combined.plist] > cookies.txt
This parses the plist into the file cookies.txt
This text file may contain many thousands of Cookies. Ideally it would be nicer to port this data into a spreadsheet. To do this I (there is probably a far more elegant way to do this BTW) open cookies.txt in a hex editor (PSPad Hex) and delete all the carriage returns 0D0A. I then find the string Path  and replace it with 0D0A7C50617468 -in other words preface path with a carriage return and the pipe symbol |. I then find and replace the strings Domain, Name, Created, Expires and Value and replace each in turn with the same string prefaced with | (e.g. |Domain, |Name etc. etc.)
I then use Excel's text import wizard to import the edited cookies.txt setting the delimiter to the pipe symbol | only.
This results in each row relating to one cookie. You can then utilise Excel's very powerful duplicate removal tool.Both the Mac and Windows versions work OK and the utility converts the CFAbsolute formatted cookie created timestamp.