As we are coming to an end working at the Senator Leahy Center for Digital Investigation, we are closer to completing our final report. Our last post was about recovering artifacts and keyword searches. Due to time issues and inexperience, our team couldn’t recover deleted files.Experience
Throughout the semester, working at the LCDI with the SIFT-workstation has been a refreshing challenge. Coming into the Center has always been a fun and engaging experience. We’ve learned vital information, especially in regards to digital forensics. We’ve even been exposed to the Linux Command Line.
Researching the SIFT-workstation from SANS also exposed us to quite a bit of information about SANS. The more we have learned, the more we have realized how exciting the digital forensics field can be. From a first year student’s perspective, technical jargon and new information can be daunting. With the amount of easy-to-read information that SANS has put out, our team agrees that learning becomes simpler.
In regards to the Linux Command Line, our team was subjected to the experience of learning syntax, system commands, and other programs. Both my partner and I have heard from our professors that these skills are integral as investigators. Having that experience is important to us as aspiring students.
Since we are nearing the end of our time on this project, our team has focused on learning how to generate timelines and search clusters. We’ve also looked into bulk extraction and learned that these are typical and required tasks in this field.Conclusion
In the end, our experience at the LCDI has been overwhelmingly positive and beneficial. We were exposed to and learned from largely important topics which is an opportunity we’ll always be grateful for. Although our team didn’t meet every expectation we had, we still experienced much more than we expected out of the internship.
The post SIFT Update 3 appeared first on The Leahy Center for Digital Investigation.
With our time here and finals week approaching fast, we are working to tie up all loose ends. Our final report is now complete, and we’ve done as much as we can with our scanner. The script scans the network, prints out some information, and sends it to an email address. We only got around to collecting the ports and services hosted on the network. If we had more time, we would have added more features, like OS detection or complete automation. As it is, we only managed to get the basics complete in time.
This is due to both a lack of time, and the many obstacles encountered throughout the course and scan of our project. If we had started with more experience, we would have been able to finish much more than we did. We spent a good amount of time figuring out how to actually use the tools instead of working on the project itself. In the end, we were unable to do as much as the other teams. Naturally, we are now much more experienced than we were at the start. Our work here at the LCDI has taught us a lot, and it has been a very positive experience for both of us.
Moving forwards, our primary goal is to wrap up last-minute objectives. First among these will be editing our final report once the Tech Writers have reviewed it for more time. This will more than likely take up our final shifts. Once we’ve completed this task, we will be all but done with our project.
The post Automated Network Scanning + Final Experience appeared first on The Leahy Center for Digital Investigation.